Dear Candida diet,
(or paleo diet, or Kaufmann diet, whatever you want to call it) I’m not going to lie, I did not miss you this weekend when I cheated. You DO make me feel good, but at times, especially when I’m with friends trying to enjoy myself, you are a royal pain in my a**. But I submit, I’m back, and something good came out of that today, this delicious beef & quinoa stuffed cabbage!
This weekend we went to an Italian Festival, and much like the Roman’s we did not deprive ourselves much of anything! No, I didn’t make my personal 30 day goal of eating super clean at 100%, but I don’t feel bad, there is a gift in understanding your body and what it needs, but sometimes what it needs is to let loose and forget about hard, fast rules and live life! Although it was fun and I enjoyed every moment of eating what I know is not the best for my health personally, I am happy to be back to basics because it’s where I feel my healthiest, and most energetic! I know so many of you try to stick to eating very clean when you are healing your body, what situations or food make it difficult for you?
- ½ lb organic grass fed beef
- 1 head cabbage
- quinoa - I used Suzie's quinoa in a pouch out of convenience. The only ingredients are quinoa, olive oil, and sea salt.
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ yellow onion diced
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce - I used Annie's organic
- 2 tbs honey (or xylitol if you are cutting out all sugar)
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce - double if you like extra sauce
- 1 tbs arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Chop onion and garlic and sauté in medium saucepan with olive oil over medium heat. About 5 minutes then set aside. Bowl water in large pot and submerge about 10-15 cabbage leaves for 2 minutes, just enough time to get them soft. Remove from water and set leaves in a strainer and set aside.
- Lightly beat the egg and combine meat, quinoa, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Mix well.
- In a small bowl combine your sauce - tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey or xylitol. and just a pinch of sea salt.
- Taking one leaf at a time place meat/quinoa mixture in the middle of the leaf then role up and place seam down in the crockpot. Once all stuffed cabbage is in crockpot pour sauce over cabbage and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Enjoy!