Are you still drinking the hot chocolate packets with dehydrated marshmallows? I know, they are pretty darn good, but they are also full of ingredients you don’t want to be ingesting. Especially if you have any health problems. So today we are going to show you how to make hot chocolate with actual health benefits. It’s also great if you are on a low sugar diet and have a HUGE sweet tooth like we do!
- 1 cup of light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. coco powder – I used Equal Exchange Baking Cocoa (it does not contain sugar)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract or flavor
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil
- 4½ tsp. xylitol
- Pinch of salt
- A nutri bullet or a blender
- Don’t skip the final step which is to mix this in a bullet or blender. Makes one serving. Double the recipe for two.
- Top with homemade whipped cream if desired – click here for recipe
- Heat all ingredient in a saucepan on medium heat until hot. The coco powder does not completely dissolve so here is my favorite part! Once the hot chocolate is hot pour into a bullet or a blender for 5 seconds. This makes the drink so frothy and it’s mixed perfectly! Don’t leave out this last step.
- UPDATE: I have since bought a “frother” they are cheap and quick so I no longer do the step above using the bullet. If you don’t have one they are a fantastic addition in the kitchen!
For the homemade whipped cream: Simply mix 8 oz of heavy whipping cream to 2-4 tablespoons of xylitol (to taste) and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Blend until thickened, the longer you blend the thicker it will be. Note: If you over blend it can become like butter.