I have to admit I did not see this avocado toast recipe coming. Unless it shows up in the form of guacamole, I am not usually very interested in avocado. But after a trip to Clean Juice with my step daughter, I have changed my mind about this bland fruit. I took one bite of her avocado toast and on the way home bought all the ingredients to make it ourselves.You can use any yeast/gluten free bread. I usually look for a sourdough, a millet, oat, or amaranth, and if you can find it mixed with seeds even better. I usually use Deland Bakery’s “Millet Special”. It is made from millet and brown rice and takes JUST like regular bread. If you want to see just how powerful this little green fruit is, check out Dr. Axe’s page where he calls it one of the top super foods! Here’s to a better way to start your day and here’s a little bonus, this was the first time (I think ever) I almost forgot about eating lunch. I was that full! Enjoy.
- ½ avocado
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh lemon juice to taste (I did about 1 tsp)
- crushed red pepper (to taste)
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt (or more to taste) avocado is a bit bland without the salt
- pepper to taste
- A slice or two of gluten/yeast free bread
- Mash avocado, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Toast bread. Spread avocado mixture on bread then top with sea salt and crushed red pepper. Sometimes I will also put a spice called "everything but the bagel" from Trader Joes. If you love everything bagels you will love this spice!