I have to admit I did not see this avocado toast recipe coming. Unless it shows up in the form of guacamole, I am not usually very interested in avocado. But after a trip to Clean Juice with my step daughter, I have changed my mind about this bland fruit. I took one bite of her avocado toast and on the way home bought all the ingredients to make it ourselves.You can use any yeast/gluten free bread. I usually look for a sourdough, a millet, oat, or amaranth, and if you can find it mixed with seeds even better. I usually use Deland Bakery’s “Millet Special”. It is made from millet and brown rice and takes JUST like regular bread. Avocado hasn’t been referred to as a top super food for nothing! Here’s to a better way to start your day and here’s a little bonus, this was the first time (I think ever) I almost forgot about eating lunch. I was that full! Enjoy.
- ½ avocado
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh lemon juice to taste (I did about 1 tsp)
- crushed red pepper (to taste)
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt (or more to taste) avocado is a bit bland without the salt
- pepper to taste
- A slice or two of gluten/yeast free bread
- Mash avocado, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Toast bread. Spread avocado mixture on bread then top with sea salt and crushed red pepper. Sometimes I will also put a spice called "everything but the bagel" from Trader Joes. If you love everything bagels you will love this spice!