Supplements can play key role in overcoming health issues. I’ve learned trying to restore your health to optimum status cannot be done with food alone. Especially since most of the food today is depleted in vitamins and enzymes. And it’s impossible to do it with just supplements alone while continuing to eat poorly. But the two together, both a clean diet for an extended period of time, combined with the right supplements can be a powerful combination! I only became a believer in supplements over the last 8 or 9 years, before that, I never even took so much as a daily vitamin. These days I take around 15- 20 supplements, and they all had their place in my recovery.
- Colostrum – oh how I wish I knew about this miracle supplement sooner! For ultimate gut health (which translates to overall health) colostrum is a fantastic choice! Colostrum is what is produced the first few days following the birth of a newborn. It’s purpose is to pass on healthy immunity to the baby. It contains immunoglobulins and immune factors to stimulate the immune system and contains lactoferrin which helps defend against all types of virus’s including hepatitis, influenza, polio, HPV, HIV, (and so much more) as well as fungi, and bacteria. The growth factors they contain help repair your skin, muscles, nerves. It does so much more, but to me what is most exciting is that it’s been proven to heal intestinal permeability (leaky gut) which now they are finding may be responsible for nearly all auto immune diseases. After having to take antibiotics for a wisdom tooth removal in December I am definitely back on colostrum and will probably take it on and off for life. You want to be sure you are getting a good brand. From all my research the two top brands are Sovereign Laboratories (this is the one I take), and Immune tree. It’s pricy, but well worth it if you combine it with a Kaufmann, candida, or paleo diet for a few months.
- Beta Glucan (allergy forumla) – you can buy just the beta glucan, or if you have food or environmental allergies the beta glucan allergy formula is awesome! I first tried it last year after having a miserable time with food allergies. I would get a stuffy nose, and an itchy throat and ears whenever eating “off” my healthy diet. I have not had any reactions to any foods whatsoever since taking it. This one has really been a life changer for me and I buy the NSC-24 brand. What does beta glucan do? When your immune system starts attacking harmless substances (like foods, environmental substances) your body releases histamine. Beta glucan helps your immune system decipher between harmful and harmless substances and boosts your immune system to fight off bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
- Probiotics – of course this has to make the top three! How can you heal if you don’t replace the good bacteria after a round of antibiotics and other things that deplete our good bacteria like pesticides, processed foods, and alcohol. But some warn not to start taking probiotics until your gut is healed (enter colostrum). Taking colostrum for 30 days prior to adding probiotics is a good idea. I’m sure there are many good brands of probiotics but my favorite are VSL#3 (but these are ridiculously expensive so I only took this brand for two months. They are very powerful though and have a solid reputation. I then switched over to Dr. Ohhira’s probiotics. Doug Kaufmann uses and trusts this brand and I trust him so this was an easy choice for us. And for the kids, we give them Jarrow’s “Yum Yum dophilus” chewables.
- Oil of Oregano – natures antibiotic and anti-fungal! When fighting candida or even certain bacteria, switching between supplements like oil of oregano, citridrops, microchitosan, and caprylic acid can be extremely beneficial.
- Nystatin – this one is actually not a supplement, but a prescription anti-fungal. Nystatin has helped people who either have issues with candida, or who have just been on an antibiotic. I will never again take an antibiotic without following up with Nystain. It’s not a systemic drug, it stays in the stomach and kills off yeast/fungi that may try to take over. It’s been around since the 50’s and is considered very safe. Unfortunately, most doctors do not know how to prescribe this outside of the sugary liquid in a bottle. I take the powdered version from a compound pharmacy. If anyone would like to know how my script was written so you can speak to your doctor about it, feel free to email me.
- Collagen – I just started taking this recently. Although I’m taking it more for vanity than health reasons, (it’s a fantastic anti-aging supplement) it’s exciting that while it’s busy doing it’s job helping your skin look firmer by increasing collagen levels, it also improves liver function, helps heal leaky gut, and is good for heart health. Two great brands are Dr. Axe’s Multi Collagen protein and Vital Proteins collagen peptides.
- Logos Nutritional Thymic Formula – my doctor (who I trust) recommended this supplement (along with others) when I first went to see him. It not only supports the immune system but also provides fantastic nutritional support.
- Cell Trophin– for those exposed to mold, you may experience adrenal fatigue as mold and fungus can cause harm to the pituitary gland. When the pituitary gland is not working properly this can also result in low thyroid.
- NAC – while it’s mostly used for liver support, it’s also used to break down mucus. If you suffer from sinus or chest infections this supplement is very beneficial. Interestingly, it can also help reduce some of the damage of alcohol if taken beforehand.
- Vitamin B Complex (and Vitamin b12 under the tongue) – good for the nervous system, brain, skin, supports the immune system. B12 increases energy level, helps to keep nerve cells healthy, good for heart health.
- Vitamin C – our bodies need vitamin C on a daily basis and our bodies do not make it on it’s own. Vitamin C fights free radical damage as well as colds and flu, and improves skin health and collagen formation.
- Vitamin D3 – the majority of American’s are vitamin d3 deficient. We need it for bone health, it protects against cancer, and can help prevent diabetes.
- CoQ10 – reduces free radical damage, good for fatigue, heart health, this is a good supplement to take for people who have to be on statin drugs.
- Chlorophyll – this is such a wonderful detoxing tool. For anyone who was affected by toxic mold (specifically aflatoxin like I was) chlorophyll helps protect the DNA from damage caused by the toxic mold. It also helps fight cancer. If any of you do infra red saunas, Doug Kaufmann suggests taking some liquid chlorophyll prior to going in the sauna. I have done this many times!
- Fish Oil – beneficial for the brain, heart, arthritis, and can reduce the risk of diabetes.
Coming up next week – the results from my 30 day “Operation Destroy Sinus Infection”.
Disclaimer – I am not a doctor, I can not recommend any supplement or treatment plan, I can only share what works for me. Also, I was not compensated in any way for this post. My opinions are all my own. Check with your doctor before starting any new diet or supplement. I was not compensated for this post, but there are affiliate links in which I get a percentage on sales. Opinions are all my own, and I would never recommend any supplement or brand I didn’t personally love and benefit from.