Take it from someone who had four sinus surgeries and was still sick, sinus infection misery is real! I have been on hundreds of course of antibiotics over two decades and they only proved damaging in the long run. I’ll give you 8 natural therapies you can try at home (with your doctors permission of course.)
8 Natural Sinus Infection Therapies You Can Try At Home
- Remove sugar, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, peanuts, and processed foods from your diet. These types of foods feed fungus (and notoriously contain fungi.) According to the Mayo Clinic, 96% of all sinus infections are fungal in nature. So don’t feed it! I myself try to follow the Kaufmann diet. In my television interview below, I get into greater detail about the “causes” of sinus infections. Remember, bacteria are opportunistic, so where there is fungus in the sinuses there is usually bacteria as well. In addition antibiotics are fungal metabolites, therefore they can even fuel fungal infections.
- Consider Anti-fungals. Since almost all sinus infections are proven to be fungal in nature, natural anti-fungals like apple cider vinegar, caprylic acid, garlic, sinus defense, citripdrops, coconut oil and grapefruit seed extract can be helpful. Colostrum is extremely important as it not only kills pathogens naturally but heals and seals a leaky gut. You may even require a prescription anti-fungal such as Nystatin or Diflucan for a month or so. This is something you can discuss with your doctor.
Television: Below is my interview on Know the Cause. We talk about my decades long sinus infection as well as other chronic health issues.
Best Supplements For A Sinus Infection
3. Probiotics can restore the flora balance in your digestive system. If you have ever been on an antibiotic this is crucial. Antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria in your intestines (where 80% of your immune system lies) so it’s important you replace it. Also, taking a digestive enzyme with your meals can be helpful. Digestive enzymes improve your body’s ability to breakdown food, as well as promote a healthy gut.
4. Argentine 23 Silver was a game changer for me personally. I have tried so many silver products that did absolutely nothing to help rid me of my sinus infection. Now I always keep this silver nasal spray on hand and use it at the first sign of sinus issues.
5. NAC, Bromelain,and Quercetin are inexpensive supplements that support sinus health. NAC helps move stagnated mucus, bromelain helps with sinus inflammation and quercetin acts as an antihistamine. If you have food allergies a product called NSC24 beta glucan allergy formula is wonderful. I am not an affiliate for them but I love this product and have been using it for years.
Natural Therapies Continued For A Sinus Infection
6. Check your environment. Do you have any leaks or suspect you live in a moldy environment? Fix leaks and add a quality air filter to your home. Microbalance has safe products to rid your clothes, nose, home and even your pet of mold spores.
7. Nasal irrigation. A NeilMed irrigation bottle is a must if you have chronic sinus issues. Sinus irrigation will not only allow you to flush out mucus but you can add anti-fungals such as citridrops mentioned above.
8. Xylitol sprays. Xlear has a new product called “Rescue” Not only does it contain the anti-fungal xylitol, but also contains essential oils and powerful anti-fungals such as oregano, parsley, eucalyptus, and tea tree.
NOTE: Some people like myself struggle with difficult to treat sinus infection for years. I had two hard to treat bacteria (staph and pseudomonas) as well as two fungi (aspergillus and curvalaria). These types of sinus infections need to be treated by an ENT trained in fungal related sinus infections. I recommend Dr. Donald Dennis in Atlanta, GA. I also suggest you read some of my other articles below on this topic and watch my two television interviews in this post. Arm yourself with as much information as possible so you can become your own best health advocate. Often time chronic sinus infections are only a symptom of a larger systemic issue in our body.
More Television: In this interview I explain what happened after years of taking antibiotics
I hope this article helps you and brings you hope in your own recovery. My second edition book Eat Pray Get Well – A Journey From Chronic Illness & Brokenness to Wholeness & Wellness is now on sale through my website and Amazon.
Disclaimer: I am not opposed to antibiotics as in many cases they saves lives. I am also not a doctor. The information in this post is not to replace your physician’s advice. This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I use myself.