Mac & Cheese (Kaufmann Diet Friendly)
Written by Erin Porter
I loved how my white queso dip recipe turned out, so I kept imagining it tossed with a gluten-free pasta. This Mac & Cheese made with chick pea pasta was even better than I expected. If you are like me, and nachos are one of your favorite comfort foods, then I think you will enjoy this recipe. If you are following the Kaufmann Diet, this would be considered just fine on Kaufmann 2 or Phase 2.
Forget the unhealthy boxed version of mac and cheese and join me as I show you how to make chickpea mac and cheese. This recipe has just the right amount of spice and the added tomatoes and jalapenos just take it to another level.
While the boxed version of mac and cheese has almost no nutritional value, this version will provide you with a substantial amount of protein and fiber from the chickpeas, (it also has fewer carbs than regular pasta) as well digestive benefits from both the chick peas and the coconut milk. If you like cherry tomatoes, add in plenty for even more of a nutritional boost.
What You Will Need To Make Chickpea Mac and Cheese
- 1 box of chick pea pasta or any gluten free pasta of your choice.
- 3/4 cup organic shredded mozzarella cheese – mozzarella cheese helps keep this a low calorie queso
- 3/4 cup organic shredded gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut milk – using light coconut milk will make this a low calorie queso
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 tbsp good quality salsa – I used 365 hatch chili salsa
- 1/2 tomato chopped (for garnish)
- 2 tsp or more cilantro – save some to sprinkle on top
- Dash of garlic powder
- 3-4 drops of Cholula hot sauce – Don’t skip this step, it gives it great flavor and don’t worry this does not make it too spicy
- Pickled jalapenos jalapeno peppers
How To Get Started
Boil water and cook pasta as directed on the box. While pasta is cooking you can start on the white queso. Directions below.
Instructions For Making Easy White Queso
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Add coconut milk and cheese and melt on medium heat
- Add all other ingredients.
- Top with cilantro, tomato, and jalapeno
- Feeds two people. Double recipe for more.
- Pairs perfectly with corn free tortilla chips or toss with your favorite gluten free pasta for mac and cheese
Putting it all Together
Simply toss the pasta and queso cheese together and top with cilantro, tomato, and jalapeno. This recipe is just fine if you are following Doug Kaufmann’s diet and would be considered Kaufmann 2 also known as Phase 2. For more Kaufmann diet recipes, check out my recipe section.
Chick Pea Mac and Cheese
- Boil water and cook pasta for 10 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking make the queso dip recipe (see link in notes) in a medium saucepan.
- Drain and rinse paste then add it back to saucepan.
- Once queso has melted, pour on pasta and mix well.
- Serve with jalapeños, black pepper and tomatoes on top.
If you suffer from Chronic Fatigue, Sinus Infections, Fibromyalgia, Food Allergies, Auto Immune Disease, Acid Reflux, Candida, Depression – this book is for you.
I have been fortunate to be featured on national Television including PBS American Health Journal, Know the Cause, CTN, ABC, NBC, CBS and more. I was sick for decades, endured many surgeries, took over 100 courses of antibiotics, and then I changed everything and everything changed. My book Eat Pray Get Well is about overcoming a tumultuous childhood, decades of chronic illness, and finding God in the process. Includes exclusive interviews with renowned Cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra, Supermodel Carol Alt, Doug Kaufmann, and many more. Plus 55 gluten free recipes woven throughout.
As an Amazon Associate EatPrayGetWell.com earns from qualifying purchases. EatPrayGetWell.com also participates in affiliate programs with ShareASale and other sites. EatPrayGetWell.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.