I loved how my white queso dip recipe turned out, so I kept imagining how it would taste tossed with something like a gluten free chick pea pasta. This chick pea mac and cheese was even better than I expected. If you are like me, and nachos are one of your favorite comfort foods, then I think you will enjoy this recipe.
Forget the boring boxed version of mac and cheese and join me as I show you how to make chick pea mac and cheese. This recipe has just the right amount of spice and the added tomatoes and jalapeños just take it to another level.
While the boxed version of mac and cheese has almost no nutritional value, this version will provide you with a substantial amount of protein and fiber from the chick peas, (it also has less carbs than regular pasta) as well digestive benefits from both the chick peas and the coconut milk. If you like cherry tomatoes add in plenty for even more of a nutritional boost.
What You Will Need To Make Chick Pea Mac and Cheese
1 box of chick pea pasta or any gluten free pasta of your choice. I used cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatras brand of chick pea pasta. Don’t miss my fascinating interview with Dr. Sinatra below.
Ingredients for the queso cheese is below
How To Get Started
Boil water and cook pasta as directed on the box. While pasta is cooking you can start on your white queso. Directions below.
What You Will Need To Make Homemade White Queso
- 3/4 cup organic shredded mozzarella cheese – mozzarella cheese helps keep this a low calorie queso
- 3/4 cup organic shredded gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut milk – using light coconut milk will make this a low calorie queso
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 tbsp good quality salsa – I used 365 hatch chili salsa
- 1/2 tomato chopped (for garnish)
- 2 tsp or more cilantro – save some to sprinkle on top
- Dash of garlic powder
- 3-4 drops of Cholula hot sauce – Don’t skip this step, it gives it great flavor and don’t worry this does not make it too spicy
- 1-2 chopped SLICES jalapeno pepper (and save a couple for the topping)- we used pickled jalapeno
Instructions For Making Easy White Queso
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Add coconut milk and cheese and melt on medium heat
- Add all other ingredients.
- Top with cilantro, tomato, and jalapeno
- Feeds two people. Double recipe for more.
- Pairs perfectly with corn free tortilla chips or toss with your favorite gluten free pasta for mac and cheese
Putting it all Together
Simply toss the pasta and queso cheese together and top with cilantro, tomato, and jalapeno
- Boil water and cook pasta for 10 minutes. While pasta is cooking make the queso dip recipe in a medium saucepan. Drain and rinse paste than add it back to saucepan. Once queso melted pour on pasta and mix well. Serve with jalapeños and tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
For more gluten recipes like this check out the 2nd edition of my book Eat Pray Get Well- A Journey from Chronic Illness & Brokenness to Wholeness & Healing
In my second edition book I interview renowned cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra. Here is a sneak peak of that interview below.