5 Steps To Wean Your Kids Off Junk Food
- If your kids are used to eating pop tarts and mac & cheese (and are unable to correctly identify their vegetables) don’t try to sit them down in front of a plate of broccoli and expect them to eat it. It doesn’t work. Trust me I’ve been there. Instead, start slow and revamp their favorite meals! Is it pizza they love? Perfect! It’s a great way to add veggies as well! Chili? No problem! There is a healthier way to make just about everything!
- Have healthy desserts on hand. Kids just want that taste of sugar they are so used to. You can provide that without all the added sugar, dyes, and preservatives you’ll get from buying store bought desserts. I have some dessert recipes that even add some real nutrition and it’s a great way to get them to eat fruit. See my dessert and snack recipe section for ideas.
- Involve your kids when cooking. Kids love to do anything grownups do. Having an open dialogue with your children while cooking and discussing what healthy (and unhealthy) food does to our body goes a long way. The earlier the better. Kids are thirsty for knowledge and want to learn!
- Don’t let them feel deprived or they will associate healthy food in a negative light. Prove to them that healthy eating does not mean deprivation and can actually be delicious! Over time their cravings will subside and eventually they will not only lose their taste for bad food, they will even be able to taste the chemicals in junk food.
- Reward them! Make it a family challenge to see who can go off sugar for two days and have a reward for the winner. Just make sure the reward isn’t junk food. Strive to teach them balance. I tell my kids it’s not a tragedy if they stray from their healthy diet now and then. There are no hard and fast rules except they should strive to eat right 90% of the time. Now THAT’S a great start!
If you suffer from Chronic Fatigue, Sinus Infections, Fibromyalgia, Food Allergies, Auto Immune Disease, Acid Reflux, Candida, Depression – this book is for you.
I have been fortunate to be featured on national Television including PBS American Health Journal, Know the Cause, CTN, ABC, NBC, CBS and more. I was sick for decades, endured many surgeries, took over 100 courses of antibiotics, and then I changed everything and everything changed. My book Eat Pray Get Well is about overcoming a tumultuous childhood, decades of chronic illness, and finding God in the process. Includes exclusive interviews with renowned Cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra, Supermodel Carol Alt, Doug Kaufmann, and many more. Plus 55 gluten free recipes woven throughout.
As an Amazon Associate EatPrayGetWell.com earns from qualifying purchases. EatPrayGetWell.com also participates in affiliate programs with ShareASale and other sites. EatPrayGetWell.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.
Leave a Reply