Note: I did not get compensated by Namaste Perfect Flour Blend for this post. Opinions in this post are all my own.
This was my first attempt at chicken pot pie. I never attempted to make it before because it’s hard to find a good wheat/yeast free pie crust. The filling was delicious and so was the crust, but I would do a couple things differently next time I make it. I would roll the crust much thinner, and also take more time to make it pretty (notice haphazard shape of first pie crust). Oh, and maybe also do an egg wash on top of the crust (my husband actually suggested that) because it looked a bit flat. But nobody complained about appearance and it was all eaten up quickly so I guess that’s all that matters!
Delicious filling below. I ended up shredding the chicken in the food processor instead of cutting it into chunks. Oh, and this recipe made a lot! I had enough for one full pie, plus these two mini pies (pictured above) so you can cut the recipe in half, or make two regular size pies and eat one, and freeze the other. That’s exactly what I did. So now one night next week dinner is already done, I just have to pull it out of the freezer!
- PIE FILLING:
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup Namaste gluten free flour - or any sugar free, gluten free flour
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- ¼ yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- PIE CRUST:
- 2¼ cups Namaste gluten free flour
- 1 stick cold grass fed butter -lightly salted
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- PIE FILLING INSTRUCTIONS;
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chicken breast for 30-35 minutes. OR to keep it really simple you can buy pre-cooked organic chicken strips and cut or shred chicken in food processor. Sautee garlic and onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp butter until golden brown. Place in crockpot and add vegetable stock, coconut milk, and flour. Before adding any other ingredients use a hand immersion blender to mix ingredients until filling is nice and thick. Add all other ingredients and stir. Once chicken is ready place in food processor in order to shred chicken. If you prefer chunks of chicken skip this step and cut chicken into cubes and add to crock pot. Cook on high for 2 hours in order for vegetables to soften.
- Crust and Filling makes enough for TWO pies. Eat one and freeze one, or cut the entire recipe in half.
- PIE CRUST INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor then place dough covered in refrigerator for two hours.
- Remove dough and roll out flat. Grease the dish you will use for your pie. Cut pie crust to fit your dish. Fill with pie filling. Place more pie crust on top. Bake for approximately 25-35 minutes or until pie crust looks slightly golden brown.