My son was a bit perturbed when he saw my “most wonderful time of the year sign” for this post, but I guess we can’t expect the kids to understand how excited we are when school starts. I’ll leave it at that. But in my defense this smoothie shows how much I care about my kids even though I’m jumping for joy on the inside, right?
A lot of you around the country are getting ready to send your kids back to school, and here in Florida they already started weeks ago. Speaking of Florida schools, they may not be known for the best in education, but they do have SOME things going for them. Like their free breakfast program for example. Every child eats free no matter what the parents income. I love the idea, I just don’t like what they serve. In fact, the kids have a choice of left over pizza from the prior days lunch almost every morning. The other choices are cold cereal (if you haven’t read my post on whether cereal is bad for you click here), and sausage biscuits and eggs (more than likely powdered). Unfortunately mine would probably go for the pizza and cereal if I don’t feed him at home first. Of course I had to scrape the chia seeds off the top of the smoothie (placed there for the sake of the photo) before he would touch it, but he never noticed the ones already blended inside. Cheers to a new school year!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ½ banana (frozen is better)
- 1 handful of spinach (I used about 7-8 spinach leaves)
- ⅛ tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tsp vanilla organic plant protein powder (I use Garden of Life) it is NOT green and also has the added benefits of probiotics and enzymes. I did not get compensated in any way for using their product. These opinions are all my own and I just love the nutritional addition it adds to smoothies.
- Blend all ingredients in bullet or smoothie. This smoothie is better if main ingredients were cold first (almond milk, banana, almond butter)
- NOTE - I don't normally use fruits higher in sugar like bananas, but if there are no health issues and you don't normally eat much sugar this smoothie on occasion is a nice change.