This Berry Cashew Butter smoothie is the perfect post workout smoothie! But first let me clarity something. When I say workout, what I really mean is my 30 minute walk or bike ride in the morning and evenings. I have never been convinced my body needed some vigorous workout to be healthy and stay fit. Those of you who know my story, know in my past I had chronic fatigue, which for those of you that suffer with this, know it doesn’t lend itself much to workouts anyway. Especially when even the most menial tasks in life take all of the strength and energy you’ve got. Chronic Fatigue has been behind me for many years now but I still take steps everyday to continue to heal my body and keep it strong so that it can fight off whatever it needs to.
- Get moving out in the sunshine. There are a couple reasons for this. The sun is a natural anti-fungal and walking, biking, and just moving period is great for our body, mind, and our souls! When I’m feeling down, confused about something, or restless, I take a walk, pray about it, and I always come back home feeling like a new person!
- Nourish your body with good food. If you are not used to eating right start small. Start your day with a power breakfast and know that you made at least one contribution toward a healthy lifestyle that day.
- Hang out with someone that makes you laugh. No funny friends? Then watch something that makes you laugh! Proverbs 17:22 says a cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit drains one’s strength.
- Probiotics – (this smoothie recipe contains probiotics from the yogurt). I take them everyday and I will continue to take them for life. 80 % of our immune system lies in our gut and when you have been on antibiotics, drink a lot of alcohol, or eat an unhealthy diet the good bacteria needs to be replaced or disease starts to creep in.
- Do something for someone else. Taking our mind off ourselves and helping to make someone else’s life happier, easier, and more fun is healing in itself!
- Okay, so I am adding an extra step. Detox your body and think ADD and REMOVE. ADD fresh organic food, green juices, wonderful supplements such as fish oil and vitamins you are known to be deficient in and REMOVE. REMOVE toxins with binders and detoxing supplements. These steps can go a long way in body recovery!. How do you know what you are deficient in? Read my article here titled “Advice I would give my chronically ill teenage self”.
- ½ heaping cup of frozen berries
- 3 tbsp plain greek yogurt (with no added sugar)
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- ¼ (plus 1 tbsp) coconut water
- If you like it sweet you can add a little monk fruit or stevia to taste
- Blend all ingredients in bullet or blender.
Cashew butter can help repair and help maximize muscle repair after exercise.
Yogurt contains probiotics which is needed for gut health and to strengthen your immune system.
Berries are a wonderful anti-fungal and help ward off cancer.
Coconut water is full of electrolytes as well as vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.