It’s forth of July weekend so naturally the kids wanted some hot dogs for a change. Instead of depriving ourselves of our favorite foods, I love the challenge of revamping our favorites into something we can actually feel good about eating. As we all know MOST hot dogs sold in stores today are foods you certainly wouldn’t feel good about. In fact, regular store bought hot dogs are probably on the top ten worst food list. They are filled with synthetic chemicals and normally a very low grade meat is used. And when I say “meat” I mean whatever meat is left over after they strip the carcass of the desirable cuts. What’s left of the animal is nothing you would want to eat. I won’t go into any more dirty details but I think you get the picture.
I used Niman Ranch “fearless” hotdogs for this recipe. They contain no nitrates or nitrites except for naturally occurring nitrates in celery powder.
Since we try to eliminate all wheat and yeast, I chose to wrap these hot dogs in a gluten/wheat/yeast free dough that is fun for kids to eat! Pair this with our summer salsa recipe and some corn free Beanitos and you’ve got a healthier forth of July meal that even your biggest junk food junkie friends would enjoy!
What about dessert? Keep it simple and healthy with a berry cobbler!
- Niman Ranch Fearless Hotdogs
- 1 cup Namaste Perfect Flour Blend + 1-2 tablespoons if needed
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- Trader Joes Everyday seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon xylitol
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup plain organic yogurt, no sugar added
- Mix almond flour, Namaste flour, xylitol, baking soda, sea salt, and chia seeds in a small bowl. Mix eggs and yogurt in a separate bowl. Add egg and yogurt mixture to your dry mixed ingredients. You want the mixture to be the consistency of dough so add 1-2 additional tbsp of Namaste flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Rub the dough between your hands or roll it out on parchment paper until it's the length of a 6 inch string. Wrap around each hot dog. Season with Trader Joe's every day seasoning.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a medium size skillet and place hot dogs in skillet for approximately two minutes. Place hot dogs on aluminum foil and broil for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
½ cup almond flour
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour