Pasta on this diet? Well sort of. This pasta is made 100% out of red lentils! When I first contemplated what I would have to give up to get well, I admit I panicked a little when it came to pasta. It’s one of my MANY “can’t live without” foods. Of course we tried the old stand by (rice pasta). We even tried it more than once (I guess I kept hoping the next time it would be palatable)? It never was. It was always mushy AND hard all at the same time! Then I stumbled across Tolerant Foods lentil pastas. They make a red lentil and a black bean version. I have only tried the red lentil but I really like it! The taste is so similar to regular pasta I am not sure I would know the difference if I didn’t cook it myself. This dish is light and packed with flavor! If you are a salt lover, the capers and feta cheese add a nice salty flavor.
To those out there that are healthy and maybe therefore don’t have the same incentive to change your diet, let me add that eating this way caused my husband and I to drop ten to fifteen pounds in the first 30 days and the weight stays off. When you take sugar and grains out of your diet you will be amazed at how quickly the weight falls off. Another interesting thing that happens is you eventually lose your taste for fake foods (chemical/man made foods-which is what the grocery stores are full of) and you start to crave real foods and real ingredients. Once in awhile when I throw caution to the wind and eat whatever I want, I am always surprised that it doesn’t taste as great as I remember and quickly realize it wasn’t worth it as I just FEEL better eating real food.
I’d love to hear what some of your “can’t live without it” foods are?
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 1-2 tbsp
- Capers (not packed in vinegar)
- Black olives (not in vinegar)
- ½ Feta cheese
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Grape Tomatos
- Red Lentil Pasta - (I used Tolerant brand)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- makes 4-5 servings
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. In the meantime heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-low heat. Crush the garlic cloves with the back of a knife and add to the olive oil once heated and stir occasionally. Add another tablespoon of olive oil if needed. I normally will have to add a bit more. Leave the garlic in the olive oil for approximately 15 minutes. Add your pasta once the water is boiling and cook as directed. In a large serving bowl add your feta cheese, olives, tomato, and capers. Once pasta is done stain and set aside for a minute or two to cool down. Add pasta to your bowl. Lastly pour the garlic olive oil over the pasta and mix all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add some mozzarella cheese if desired and stir again. Serve.
- Serves about 5 people